Seriously? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 12:14 (1679 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They mean the same thing though. If the baseline combat (primary and secondary weapons, basic movement and abilities) requires a certain amount of skill to successfully score a kill, and then another mechanic is added to the mix that requires less skill to get a kill, you have objectively lowered the overall skill gap.

I believe this is untrue. Even David Sirlin, Mr. 'Playing to Win' himself disputes this.

It's why for the SF2 Turbo remix he made special movies easier to pull off. The idea is that the strategic element of when to use a move is much more important and fun than whether you can do it at all. This philosophy has extended to all subsequent Street Fighter games.

But just because it requires less skill to physically execute the move does not lower the skill gap. The better players are still winning. However with the barrier lowered, what it takes to win shifts. You can't win anymore just because you can get move timings and your opponent can't. You have to outplay them.

The key phrase here is "The better players are still winning." I guess they should win by even more?

I fully believe your real problem is that the game is shifting away from 'pure gunplay determines who wins'.

Is that it? I mean for what games has that ever been true? I thought the issue was that skill should determines who wins. That and he doesn't like unavoidable deaths in a match. From my humble position, I can't relate. I'm like...

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread