Reimagining "competitive" Destiny (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 10, 2019, 18:09 (1682 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

In my mind, a competitive player is focusing on the game at precisely that level: 1 gunfight at a time. This goes beyond Destiny. This is generally how athletes think during a game or a race. 1 possession at a time. 1 point at a time. 1 foot in front of the other. You don’t focus on “the game”. You focus on the hundreds of little moments that all add up to make the game.

But my point is that for players who want a game mode or playlist that caters to a competitive frame of mind, 70% is nowhere near good enough.

Good points here. And, again, I really like your solutions in your first post. My only fear is that these competitive players are sorta like Halo’s competitive players. They focus so much on absolute encounter to encounter fairness that don’t really want to play Destiny (or Halo) anymore. You get things like Team Swat or MLG rules where most of what made Halo unique (shields, armor abilities, varying grenades, bloom) is disabled. At some point you are playing something so “competitive” that you might as well just build a new game, because you aren’t really playing Halo (or Destiny) anymore. I like your ideas better. They’re something I might want to play as a Destiny player since most all of Destiny’s features remain present. Just wanted to point out the risk of too much per-encounter fairness.

I think it might be interesting to change the rule of Supers for this new Competitive/Trials mode. Instead of “most players only get one Super per game” maybe it would be better to make it official. You get 1 Super per game. On top of that, just give that Super to players at the beginning. Leave it up players when best to use their Super.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread