More incentive talk

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:55 (3945 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I gotta agree with Cody on this one, to an extent.

I thought the Skulls and Terminals were fantastic additions to the campaign, and a decent enough reason for at least one more play through to find them all, so I don't necessarily mind things they add for replay incentives.

However, I wish they would not waste their time, and instead just make the game awesome enough to replay on it's own merits.

FTL is a good example of this. I'm still replaying that damn game, even though I'm sure I've seen almost everything the game has to offer. It's just that fun that I keep going back to it.

Eh. FTL has a ton of achievements! A lot of its replaying is to unlock the other ships and ship variants as well. Don't get me wrong, because FTL is a fantastic game (that needs to be on my iPad…) but it's not really a good example of a no achievement / no grind type game.

Hell, to stay relevant, Combat Evolved is the best example of it. There's no reason to replay the campaign, unless you enjoy doing so. And I certainly did. It's still easily the best campaign experience of the series, and that's not rose colored nostalgia glasses talking. I still play it quite often (most recently about a month ago). It's that good. There's no need for anything extra. I don't think any "incentive" they could or would have added would have added to my enjoyment whatsoever.

Agreed, for the most part. There's nothing out of "modern gaming" that I want added to Assault on the Control Room. But I say that in the context of it being the single player, high walled, sorta kinda corridor of a level that it is. Like I said earlier in the thread (and I may be wrong / overly optimistic) Destiny seems like the kind of game that is so different from Halo 1 that there are cool things they could do with it that couldn't be done before. Things that wouldn't make sense in the case of one Spartan stranded on a strange ringworld, but make a ton of sense when the story is that hundreds of Guardians, including yourself, are out defending The City. Each person playing AotCR was walled off from the other because of Halo's single player nature and the nature of its one Spartan story, but in Destiny the things that one Guardian does could end up affecting what you are doing in neat ways. Incentive to replay could come in the form of doing things to help yourself and to help those around you.

Focus on making the gameplay absolutely amazing and you won't need anything else. Leave the incentives to multiplayer, if you must. But really, don't even do that. Unlock all the customization options from the very beginning. I don't want to have to play for 50 or 100, or hell, even 5 hours to get the piece of cool looking armor I want.

Agreed, except I think they should leave a few of the coolest things to be unlocked. Stuff for the true fans. But even then that stuff shouldn't be too hard to get, as even true fans don't always have a lot of time to grind their Stupid Spartan Score to 117 million or whatever.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread