More incentive talk

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:15 (3945 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Eh. FTL has a ton of achievements! A lot of its replaying is to unlock the other ships and ship variants as well. Don't get me wrong, because FTL is a fantastic game (that needs to be on my iPad…) but it's not really a good example of a no achievement / no grind type game.

Yeah, it does have achievements, and new ships to unlock. I don't even have all of them yet. However, I don't care. Yes, the new ships do add value, in that their layouts and capabilities are different. But that's not the reason I keep replaying it. I almost always use the Kestrel anyway. I'm not sure the game would have lost anything had it not included extra ships (for me).

Agreed, for the most part. There's nothing out of "modern gaming" that I want added to Assault on the Control Room. But I say that in the context of it being the single player, high walled, sorta kinda corridor of a level that it is. Like I said earlier in the thread (and I may be wrong / overly optimistic) Destiny seems like the kind of game that is so different from Halo 1 that there are cool things they could do with it that couldn't be done before. Things that wouldn't make sense in the case of one Spartan stranded on a strange ringworld, but make a ton of sense when the story is that hundreds of Guardians, including yourself, are out defending The City. Each person playing AotCR was walled off from the other because of Halo's single player nature and the nature of its one Spartan story, but in Destiny the things that one Guardian does could end up affecting what you are doing in neat ways. Incentive to replay could come in the form of doing things to help yourself and to help those around you.

Oh, I absolutely agree. Destiny looks to play quite a bit like Halo, in the moment to moment shooting mechanics. I could be wrong about that, but from what we've seen, it looks how it has the same feel to it's shooting. But just the nature of it being much more open means they can do very different, interesting things. But it still boils down to, if the game is enough fun, I'll replay it quite a bit, because of the game itself, rather than trying to find that loot drop or rare event or whatever it happens to be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread