I get what he's saying (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, June 22, 2015, 20:49 (3249 days ago) @ yakaman

And on top of that, Bungie is tossing in the original game and first two expansions for FREE!
There, now you aren't paying for something you already have.

Except that most hardcore players already have that stuff. Further, many here forked out good money already for Collector's editions or whatever.

They already have stuff given away for free? Well good thing it's free and they can just throw it in the trash.

My point here is that you can't give value to any that was purchased previously. Because their precedent is to make previous DLC free to anyone (i.e. Dark Below became free with release of HoW), then we can assume those would be free anyway. One can't make the claim 'but they're getting the full game too'.

This doesn't pass the smell test. It's business, and if they can get people to pay again, that's fine. But it's sketchy.

Out of curiosity, what would you be willing to pay for that list of collectors edition things? Less than $40 I take it, so maybe $30? $20? Here is that list again to remind you

• Collector's Edition SteelBook™ Case
  • Modified Treasure Island Book with intro Letter from Cayde-6
  • Cayde-6's Personal Notes and Illustrations
  • Collection of Relics and Artifacts
  • Strange Coin Replica
  • Three Class Specific Emotes
  • Three Armor Shaders
  • Three Exotic Class Items with XP Bonuses

So here we are. The only thing above I care about...and I mean the only thing, are the dance emotes. The only way to get them is to pay $40. Even better (worse?) I only roll 1 character, so it's $40 for 1 dance emote. Now you say, if it's not worth it to you, don't buy it! Which is fine, but I am of the opinion that the dance emotes are what will matter to most people - which is specifically why they were placed behind the $40 paywall. And now we slide into sketchy territory. So, to be clear: to me, specifically, it stinks.

Is there an issue here? I don't know; it will largely depend on how each person feels about the game.

Holy shit, did I just spend 10 minutes of my life writing a post about dance emotes?

If that's all I cared about (for one character no less), I certainly wouldn't pay $40, but I guess it depends on how much I cared about that one thing. I loved Arkham Asylum, but I certainly didn't love it enough to buy it again so I could play it again in 3-D, which is the only new thing that buying the game of the year edition would've gotten me. That's part of the calculation, though, figuring out how many people want something and what they're willing to pay. Capitalism is about charging what the market will bear and suffering if you charge more. Other people have outlined how the pricing structure makes sense, and it's a given that there's a cost and benefit to being an early adopter. I'm heavily invested, so it's a fair price for me, but I'm also hoping that Luke is right and it will seem more valuable as we learn more. I'm so glad they're not going the MMO subscription route because that would mean that I would feel the need to justify my play time every month (and I don't need any more justifications).

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, pricing wise, is that the digital collector's edition. Per the original digital guardian edition, I'd expect it to be less than the physical edition.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread