One nit (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 17:49 (3249 days ago) @ unoudid
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 17:59

I get the use of slight hyperbole as a matter of trying to make a point, but minimizing the work of animators, mocap artists, and techs is kind of gross. I think most people not involved with game dev would be absolutely astonished at how much work goes into something as seemingly "trivial" as creating a dance cycle.

I haven't worked on video games. But I used to work doing architectural renderings. The sheer amount of time to make something realistic or then realistic + stylized was mind blowing. I can only imagine once you add mocap, animators, etc... how much time is put into something simple like a dance move.

That's not even the end of it either, because there are three of them, and the shaders, and the class items, and the book, and the coin, and the little patch things.... Maybe it's not worth $40, maybe it's not even worth $20 like the price tiers imply, but people keep looking at one or two things just because this interview had it as a point of contention or because of what they're personally interested in, and then saying that thing is easy to make so the whole package should be cheap, and it blows my mind how reductionist it is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread