Value propositions. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 01:05 (3250 days ago) @ someotherguy

Those things plus Destiny, TDB and HoW? Probably worth $40... Except this package was specifically designed to most appeal to those who already have them.

I think the real problem here is that what I believe Bungie and Activision truly want is more players. The real thing here is offering the game and all the expansions plus some goodies to entice people who have been on the sidelines, either because they weren't sure they were interested in Destiny, or because some of the bad press and internet criticism has kept them away.

A package deal that means new players are getting all the current content for less than day one players means the risk is lower-- they get a lot of stuff, and if it turns out they don't like the game, hey, at least they didn't pay as much as they would have if they'd started on day one.

Veteran players are assuming this package is aimed at them. It is not. It quite obviously is not. People are acting as if Bungie is putting a massive price tag on a dance emote and taking advantage of longtime fans. I honestly do not believe this is so. They want more players so they can sell the next expansion and the following titles.

Of course, the later you get in, the more you'll get for the same price. I'm reminded of the parable of the talents-- day one fans are the workers who showed up first, did a full day's work for a full day's wages, and are complaining that people who came later got more for less work.

If you're honestly considering paying to purchase a bunch of stuff you already own to get some digital swag... the problem is you, not them. Consider stepping away from the game for awhile for your own good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread