Hold on now... (Destiny)

by yakaman, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 15:57 (3249 days ago) @ Funkmon

I don't want to be associated with a bunch of needy whiners as the core audience. It's embarrassing.

Someone told me about this part of your reply a minute ago, and I had a eureka moment hearing him say it.

DBO is great because we're generally more moderate and more adult than, say, Reddit, or other sites, and I loved that there wasn't a bunch of entitled bitching about prices or collector's edition content, and have said so plenty of times since Reddit started doing it.

I couldn't put my finger on what I felt when I saw this stuff here at first. It wasn't like "Oh, another shit on Destiny (despite the fact that I play it constantly) thread that takes up the entire page" it was like "Oh, DBO. You've turned into Reddit with longer words and somehow even more entitlement."

What I felt was embarrassment. Thanks for putting that feeling into a word.

A person can take exception to this stuff on principle, not entitlement. Full disclosure: I no longer play Destiny and do not plan on getting The Taken King. The sticking point for me (based on the principle of the matter, not the specifics) comes down to the dance emote.

We all know people will pine for this - long time players especially. It does not matter that it is a stupid little throwaway thing. Agree or disagree?

As a stupid little throwaway thing, it should be no big deal (i.e. not cost-prohibitive) to simply give this away. Agree or disagree?

Since I agree strongly with both statements above, it is my opinion that putting this in with the new Collector's Edition is very specifically targeting long time players. Thus, I find it stinky.

You might say: "Ah yakaman, such a small, stupid thing to complain about...", and while I fully concede that point, I could say the same: "Ah Bungie, what a small, stupid thing to put behind a $40 paywall...".

Is this the greatest offense in the modern-day era? Of course not. Was the interviewer more dickish than he had to be? Maybe...a little bit. Can a person take offense to the stuff being stuck behind a paywall without being entitled/spoiled? I think so.

In the end, does any of this matter? Hell no. But it sure is fun to talk about.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread