One nit (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, June 24, 2015, 06:19 (3247 days ago) @ Ragashingo

...which seems plausible, because marathon was done this way and why not keep that same design philosophy...

I don't doubt the rest of what you said, but Marathon was twenty one years ago. How much direct relevance can it really have to Destiny's structure and programming? If you'd said Halo then sure, but Marathon?

Well, I know nothing about modding Halo. I know some people did it on PC, but I have no idea what the structure was. Marathon, on the other hand, I modded like crazy. I changed the animations, changed the physics, changed the AI... it was all really brilliantly structured so that these changes were easily accomplished and it was easy to save different "packages" of changes to share with friends etc..

Combined with my experience at a couple of different gaming houses and I've observed that, in general, once a dev team lands on a design structure and workflow that is nimble and responsive, they are fairly unlikely to switch to something cumbersome and difficult to change. Since Marathon, way back 20 years ago, was really well organized and easy to modify in almost every way, I find it very unlikely that Bungie would have made any games since then that weren't just as well structured (at least in the developer tools side of things).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread