Wow (Gaming)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 05:43 (3166 days ago) @ iconicbanana

And then, of course, we have Activision, who are increasingly looking like the root of most of this game's development woes. Goddamn it, Activision.

For perspective: Activision is also the root of the game, period. To the tune of $500 million. And Bungie did not accidentally enter into a publishing agreement with them.

Sadly, if you want to make a AAA game, you have to put up with the people who have money.

It's a shame the people with money feel they need to act this way with a developer who made fucking Halo, but hey, maybe Activision thinks they know better.

I personally don't have an ethical problem with publishers doing trailers for the stuff they put out. I mean, I may not like them, but that's usually a part of their domain. Most publishers, in any medium, control and create a lot of the advertising and don't take a second to confirm whether or not the actual creator is cool with whatever they're throwing out there. You can read blogs of famous authors (I'm thinking of Neil Gaiman at this moment) who have commented that they think their publisher, at one time or another, marketed their book wrong. Directors have disproved of trailers for their movie. Comic creators haven't liked how their publisher pitched their work. Hell, famous master painters had patrons that directed their art.

To me, the problem was how Activision dismissed Marty's and Bungie's complaints. That led to Marty's departure and thus interference with the actual product, or at least its follow-ups, which is far worse than messing about with the advertising in my opinion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread