I know people will pick sides (and have already done so)... (Gaming)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 13:41 (3166 days ago) @ Leviathan

But personally, from what we know, I see relatable challenges on both sides of this issue. The whole thing just makes me sad.

I think, like Marty, I too would be outraged if a publisher took away my contribution on a vital event like that. But I can also see how challenging it might be for a whole studio to work with that outrage (especially in such an important role) if they were already into the thick of it and trying to make a good game despite challenges with the publisher.

So the relatable solution was to strip Marty of his shares for no reason other than "he'd be an ass at board meetings?"

...I don't think I said that. And I didn't mean to imply it.

I do think it was implied. Your statement reads like "Both sides have a point here: Marty wants his creative vision intact, and Bungie might have difficulty working with an outraged Marty, what a tough call" basically treating Marty's termination as the central issue and glossing over the real meat of the legal battle which was Bungie stripping Marty of his shares in the company (and withholding his unused vacation pay which was even more of an open-and-shut case) for, as we now know, no defensible reason.

To be clear, I'm on no side.

I know, you and others. And it's upsetting. When people here (and elsewhere) hem and haw about "both sides are good/bad, we don't have enough info, etc" it strains credibility. The court documents have revealed plenty, and I think it's fine to favor a side now. Siding with the arbitrator, who has examined all the information and does this for a living and has ruled Bungie was in the wrong, seems prudent.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread