I know people will pick sides (and have already done so)... (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 17:52 (3165 days ago) @ Schooly D
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 18:13

But personally, from what we know, I see relatable challenges on both sides of this issue. The whole thing just makes me sad.

I think, like Marty, I too would be outraged if a publisher took away my contribution on a vital event like that. But I can also see how challenging it might be for a whole studio to work with that outrage (especially in such an important role) if they were already into the thick of it and trying to make a good game despite challenges with the publisher.

So the relatable solution was to strip Marty of his shares for no reason other than "he'd be an ass at board meetings?"

...I don't think I said that. And I didn't mean to imply it.

I do think it was implied. Your statement reads like "Both sides have a point here: Marty wants his creative vision intact, and Bungie might have difficulty working with an outraged Marty, what a tough call" basically treating Marty's termination as the central issue and glossing over the real meat of the legal battle which was Bungie stripping Marty of his shares in the company (and withholding his unused vacation pay which was even more of an open-and-shut case) for, as we now know, no defensible reason.

It's almost like the central issue of the case and the central topic of his post don't have to be the same thing. It's almost like he's trying to put things in perspective and see all sides, and encourage other people to do the same, so the forum that he's an admin of doesn't erupt into flames of unified negativity (and then counter-flames against those people). It's almost like you twisted his words and keep attacking because you want to defend Marty or don't like Bungie.

By this kind of reasoning I could take your responses as an implication that Marty's not at fault at all, but I'm sure that wouldn't be accurate. Do you see the flaw there?

To address the central issue of the case, since you apparently want that, sure, it looks Bungie acted like jerks in withholding these shares. From the article, there's no really good reason for them to have done that. Has anyone found the actual legal documents? Are they even available?
edit: found it http://www.scribd.com/doc/278601628/Marty-O-Donnell-v-Bungie-Harold-Ryan
Does anyone speak legalese and have a bunch of time on their hands?

To be clear, I'm on no side.

I know, you and others. And it's upsetting.

There is no need to be upset.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread