Marty O’Donnell wins epic legal fight with former bosses (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, September 06, 2015, 15:07 (3165 days ago) @ car15
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, September 06, 2015, 15:31

Having had time to process this, these are my thoughts. This is a considerably more biased reaction than my initial one, so... I don't know, prepare, I guess.

Activision is poison, and Bungie's leadership is obviously not much better since 1) they chose to partner with them in the first place and 2) tried to steal Marty's stock options after termination.

Don't forget about Joseph Staten leaving Bungie in September 2013. This article confirms that the story changed substantially in August 2013, which pretty much confirms that Staten left because Activision screwed up Destiny entirely.

No it doesn't you conclusion-jumping biased asshole. There is no indication that Activision was behind the rewrite or that it had anything to do with Joe Staten leaving.
It still boggles my mind how everyone just assumes one of many reasons for the story being the way it is. It's like people think Joe Staten is some kind of genius writer who couldn't have messed up a story, and he's too principled to stay with people making a bad story or a company being pushed around by another company, but not so principled he'd stay around to try to make sure the story he helped create actually came out good and fleshed out. I like some things he wrote too but geez.
The story could be lackluster and too thin because he left. He could've left because it was bad and it was his fault. The two things could be completely unconnected, because he was one writer among several.

Oh, and does anyone remember 404Architect from a year ago? Remember how many people didn't believe him, and yet everything he posted has pretty much been legitimized?

No it hasn't you insufferable ass-basket. Other than the story being messed with 7 months before release (which is only accurate if he was talking about the proposed March 2014 release) there's nothing that's been confirmed, it all looks like stabs in the dark based on what we got and people's reaction to it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread