I agree with Leviathan . . . (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 20:53 (3166 days ago) @ cheapLEY

This whole situation is just sad and sucks.

I really hate seeing people everywhere feeling justified in Bungie-bashing and saying basically, "I called it when they announced Activision partnership!"

We still really have no idea what happened beyond this very specific instance. Everyone is all keen to blame Activision and assume they interfered with Destiny's development. We've still seen no evidence of this. They changed the music in a trailer. Publishers usually handle marketing; it's not unexpected, and it shouldn't have been unanticipated.

But the bottom line is this: it's really not our business what happened. Whether Activision interfered, or whether Bungie scrapped things and started over, or anything else, they shipped Destiny. Maybe they shipped exactly the game they wanted to make. Either you like it or you don't; that should be the end of it. There doesn't need to be blame laid at anyone's feet. If you don't like it, move on. Why can't it be that simple? What's with outrage culture that seems to be spreading everywhere?

I think it's always been around, but now it's both technologically easy and socially acceptable to make your outrage heard by everyone willing to pay attention for a minute.
I contest the idea that we shouldn't talk about it though. It's not strictly our business but it doesn't need to be private either, and labeling a topic as out-of-bounds makes me nervous.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread