You made your point fine. (Gaming)

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 18:01 (3166 days ago) @ Leviathan

I don't understand why you've decided to question my credibility, but it sucks, especially coming from someone I had some good times with in the past. It seems like in recent years every time I express my views on something big, I'm either called an idiot, an apologist, and now maybe a liar. I don't know if the community has changed or if by helping with DBO I've somehow gained an oppressive-person-in-power status, but I'm tired of it. I don't do drama. I'd rather take me my leave if it means keeping my memories intact.

Don't sweat it. First off your point was clear however some people seem to want to take a side and make it personal. You're right in that both sides screwed up.

First off publishers handle marketing. That's how it is. It was clear from day 1 that's what Activison was going to be doing. Bungie said as much when the deal was announced. The arbiter an independent party said that they decided to use different music for a trailer. They didn't go and say hey we're not going to use your music for the game. In fact it appears the opposite was true and they had every intention of using his music in the game. Marty decided to then according to the findings of the Arbiter threaten other employees and interrupt briefings. That's not professional at all. No ifs ands or buts about it. Marty acted childish doing that.

The arbiter then found that Marty had given out copies of the work he did to other people. At the same time the arbiter mentions that it appears Bungie or at least Marty thought Bungie was withholding releasing the work he did as a means of trying to control him. If they were then they were wrong to do this. Ultimately the arbiter found that Marty handing out copies of his work did not do any damage to Bungie as they tried to claim.

So anyway we move on and after a break Marty comes back and proceeds to continue to cause problems and continues to not get along with co-workers to the point people were complaining about him. Again this isn't professional. Now I have no doubt that again at this point there was internal fighting so I'm sure there were people being petty and probably a little childish on both sides. It still does not make how he acted right.

Now here is where Bungie was in the wrong. When they terminated Marty they should have paid him for any time he had acquired be it sick leave, vacation time, etc. They also should not and I repeat not taken his stock from him. That was wrong and unprofessional on Bungie's part. So yea these findings are pretty neutral on the conflict and if anything paint both parties in a bad light.

Ultimately like you said it's sad that both sides let their relationship get to such a toxic state. It breaks my heart that people that have made some of my most favorite games of all time could not work out their problems. It's peoples lives here though. This isn't some story where there is a good side and a bad side. They're all human and both sides made some serious mistakes. Someday I do hope that they can all work out their differences and maybe recover some friendships that were probably lost in all of this. At the same time I hope Bungie continues to be successful and that Marty, Jamie, and anyone else who left or were fired from Bungie find success and are happy too.

I've said my peace on it now. Hopefully everyone can calm down and quit attacking each other here. Remember we're not enemies. You can discuss things without making it personal and attacking others. As for me I'm gonna go back to playing Destiny, Halo, whatever Marty and them make, and just games in general. I've said my peace on this now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread