Since you've mentioned Game Pass and Forza... (Gaming)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 11, 2018, 22:43 (2259 days ago) @ ZackDark

Do give DiRT Rally a few tries. It's punishingly hard to get the feel for it if you're only used to asphalt games, but good god does it feel deeply satisfying when you finally feel comfortable going fast.

FWIW, my opinion is that Dirt Rally is nearly unplayable on a controller. I put a lot of effort intro trying to tune the settings, and I eventually got it to where I could do it most of the time on loose surfaces, but driving on tarmac courses was still VERY sketchy. On a wheel and pedal setup, though, it's amazingly good. I guess that's not surprising for a game which was mostly tested by PC enthusiast neckbeards. But driving a Lancia 037, on gravel, with a wheel, in that game is maybe the most sublime virtual driving experience I've had. That thing can dance like nothing else.

Protip: get the Alpine as the first car. It is objectively better than most cars in the next two categories, let alone its own.

Yeah, 100% agree with that. The understeer on the Mini and the Lancia Fulvia is quite bad, I actually find them harder to tame than the rear-drive Alpine because of it. And the Alpine is just plain faster anyway. And it sounds incredible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread