Huh? (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:40 (2255 days ago) @ stabbim

Nice to know, but you're saying don't plug them into the Xbox, right? Solves the power (and buzz) problem, but they obviously won't be using the wired connection to send signals to the game in that case.

Yeah, I had that thought too.

It's never been an issue for me because I just use a chat headset. All my system audio goes through my surround sound system.

Side note: I find it frustrating and weird that, in the past few years, many people/media outlets/device makers have started to act like headsets are the only thing that anyone has or uses for game audio. Looking at you, Microsoft, who still has NO wireless chat-only headsets available because they ASSUME that anyone buying an aftermarket headset would definitely want their game audio to go through the headset in addition to chat. EXAGGERATED SIGH.

What sort of headset are you guys using, exactly, when you have this issue? I'm not well educated on the full-audio headset scene, having never really used any. If you're plugging in to the controller, does that imply that it's a stereo (as opposed to surround/more than 2 channel) headset? The "surround" sets tend to be wireless, right?

I'm just wondering about the connections/signaling because it sounds like what's really needed is a ground loop isolator. They're widely (and cheaply) available for a standard 3.5mm stereo jack, but I just checked and I'm not seeing anything that seems to be intended for headset use (which would have an extra conductor). It might be possible to plug in a splitter to a stereo headset jack to separate the headphone and mic signal paths, and then connect the isolator along whichever path is getting the buzz (I'm not clear on whether you hear the buzz, or other people do)?

When my controller is plugged in I hear the buzz on every headset I've used. I've never used wireless. Same thing on the 360 by the way. It's not that bad. You could get used to it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread