Subnautica (+Elite Dangerous) (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 18:15 (2227 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Really enjoying it, but I hope that lasts. I know you said to prepare my wallet, but I'm still bummed that it seems like all cosmetic customization is hidden behind a paywall. I'm not paying $4 dollars to paint my ship orange. It's a minor complaint--this game seems to have no lack of content, but locking even basic color options behind a paywall really sucks.

I agree, I wish they provided some simple color customization. It's ok to me if they want to paywall the more interesting customizations (like changes to the shape of the model or stuff beyond basic colors) as that's part of how they pay for the servers and development of future updates. If you want to add me on xbox (same gamertag as forum name) maybe I'll join you sometime.

I don't disagree, it's kind of annoying (if not rude) that at the very least you aren't given, say, the vibrant or military paintjobs for every ship upfront, along with basic nameplates.

At the same time, however, I'm really not all that fussed about it. Because after sinking several hundred hours of my time into their game, I've more than gotten my 60 dollars (or however much the pack with Horizons and the Commander pack was) worth, so what's another five, ten or fifteen here and there when I buy a new ship? Five bucks for a pack of paintjobs usually works out to a dollar a color, which isn't that awful.

It's sort of just the principle of the thing. I'm fine with locking some shiny stuff behind some cheap packs, but basic color choices? For real? That seems like pretty basic functionality. Look at it like shaders in Destiny. Imagine if you ddin't get any shaders at all, and instead had to buy them. It'd be a huge bummer, at least for me.

Whatever, if I stay into this game for a while, I can see myself dropping ten or twenty bucks down the line for some customization stuff.

BTW: Shipkits are awesomesauce. I have yet to be let down by a shipkit. The pictures and videos they use to show them off almost never do them justice. When you get into something long term, definitely consider one. I have a Sidewinder that looks like a stupid souped-up Civic, a ASP-X that was made a bit more "aerodynamically sound", a Vulture with a completely different profile than stock, and a 'Conda that looks more like an obsidian arrowhead than it already did. This is to say nothing of one of the guys I fly with, who used one to add as much length to his Python as he could, turned his 'Conda into a Reaver ship, and his 'Vette into a Star Destroyer.

The ones I've looked at do look cool, and they really do seem pretty reasonably priced.

My tag is ReaverPhoenix. Drop me a line sometime. My schedule is wonky and jam packed (and may stay that way through the end of March at the earliest), but I'll jump in when I can.

I definitely will. My biggest issue right now is lack of a headset. I have the first gen Astro A50s, which aren't completely wireless when used on the Xbox One. It needs a little adapter thing that plugs into the controller. Sometime between selling my launch Xbox One and now, I've misplaced that adapter. So I have to either find it or buy a new one before I can actually communicate with anyone. Unless something changed, and the first gen headsets can work without it now--I guess I should check that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread