Foolish consistency (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:50 (2250 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 12:56

I noticed with some interest that I seemed pretty ticked in the heat of the moment and even used the "lie" word, which is funny because that's not how I remember it going down. I guess I'm forgetful or forgiving or both, or maybe those qualities go hand in hand?

You're not alone. See how someone like Bluerunner lost faith in 343 after bsAngel's bsReply, then proceeded to get the MCC anyway, lost faith in them again, then got Halo 5? So it goes. See you in Halo 6, Blue!

Fortunately, you have friends like me, who remember everything, no matter how much 343 tries to hide that old blog post! :)

I'll own it. I think there's a matter of perspective over the course of years and whether the perceived value of my interactions with 343 have been worthwhile from a consumer perspective. In that context, I've had disappointments, but I've not felt ripped off. (To touch on another hot rail here, I've not indulged in the microtransactions in the new Halos.)

Here's the interesting thing, though. What happened in the past few months to cause a shift towards "transparency, honesty, and consistency"? Why would 343 change their ways? I guess the microtransactions aren't doing so hot, regardless of how much confetti pops when you open them.
Maybe it all comes down to money. I wonder if their sales weren't taking a hit, would they bother to improve?
Bungie clearly didn't, until the CoO backlash and poor Mx sales became mainstream news...

I don't know. I haven't been paying close attention. I do think it's false to say that 343 can't improve or that 343 circa 2012 is a static entity. Seems to me that one ingredient you're leaving out is trust. Mistakes made with good intentions can be more easily be forgiven, and good deeds done between missteps also mitigate any damage done to a relationship. I thought it was awesome that they updated ODST and included it in the package gratis.

Not unrelated, once I had a girlfriend who never forgave anyone any slight. She had an elephant's memory about such things, and since everyone makes mistakes, she was always on her way to being mad at everyone (and expected you to be, too, in solidarity with her). She was really good at staying miserable. I'm glad she's an ex-girlfriend.

Keep in mind that people who forgive too easily are often taken advantage of repeatedly. Maybe your Avateur ex was a bit too paranoid and miserable, but did you ever wonder how she got that way? Maybe too many 343s in her life.

Food for thought. ;)

I know how she got that way, and it's irrelevant and strains the analogy to go into it here. Suffice it to say she expected 343s all the time, and people lived down to her expectations. It's a lot more difficult to be your best when someone always assumes the worst about you no matter what you do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread