Since you've mentioned Game Pass and Forza... (Gaming)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, February 12, 2018, 20:58 (2235 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, Fanatec gear is pretty ridiculously priced. So much so that I never really bothered researching them thoroughly once I'd seen some of their prices mentioned.

I have a Logitech G920.

As far as the not-completely-insanely priced gear goes, there is the really basic category which tend to run around $100 and don't have proper force feedback. Just a sort of drag mechanism that resists turning so the wheel isn't spinning freely. I have used one of those and I don't think they're worth the effort TBH. They're just a little less convincing than Cruisin' USA.

Then there's the somewhat higher-end category which tends to run around $300. Mine's in this group. These will have actual motors to simulate steering feedback. Now, at least when I looked, which was probably around a year ago, mine had one key advantage. Pretty much all of them don't come with a manual shifter, mine included. BUT, most of them also consequently come with just 2 pedals. Which means if you DO get an add-on shifter later, you also have to replace the pedal set in order to have a clutch pedal. Mine comes with 3 pedals out of the box, so I only need to buy a shifter if I ever want to go full manual. It also means that I can use clutch kick in Dirt Rally with my paddle shifters. :)

If you ever seriously consider one, I strongly urge you to think through your gaming space. You'll need somewhere to put the wheel, and although most of them will mount to a table, that might not be very good because tables usually aren't at the right height. Also, if you have the pedals loose on the floor, they'll get pushed around. I bought one of these, although that particular unit is out of stock now. I then realized that my couch seat was too low and too far back, so I got one of these, which in my use case can really only be described as an adult booster seat. It's all pretty perfect now, but it took some tweaking.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread