Elite Dangerous and other miscellaneous. (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, February 27, 2018, 16:41 (2250 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Thanks for the ship recommendations! I smuggled a wanted man to some outpost for 1.5 million credits last night, so I’m sitting at 3 million, but I haven’t found any other missions that are that profitable and as quick to complete as that one, so it’s back to grinding out short, less profitable runs. I think I just got lucky with that first one.

If you're looking to run passengers, load up on Economy Cabins and look for the bulk transport missions. They'll be the ones that don't have a person's name attached to them. You can cram people in like sardines and stack a whole bunch of transport missions. In the end, it may not be as profitable as doing the runs for a single person, but you can do more in the time it'll take you to do one of the other.

I may do that tonight.

As for HOTAS:

I’m okay with the controller, but the controls don’t feel right. I tried switching some of stick controls, but nothing feels terribly good, and I always forgot to switch back from alternate controls. I can fly decently and I’m finally able to land pretty smoothly without a bunch of corrections, but sometimes my mind slips and I hit the wrong button and screw it up. Remembering what button plus d-pad direction does each shortcut is still sort of a pain. I’m about 90% sure I’m going to get a HOTAS at this point.

Welcome to Elite Dangerous. Fighting the controller is par for the course at first. You haven't lived until you're performing a flawless docking run, go to lower your landing gear... and then boost for the ass end of the spaceport. This is a thing that will transition to the HOTAS as well. I think the difference is the button placements don't necessarily box you into, I guess, standard control conventions.

Basically, just keep fiddling until something sticks.

I guess I’m just thinking that ultimately the HOTAS will feel a bit more natural. Maybe not, but it seems worth learning, and it’s not too expensive for me to just write it off.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread