ditto (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 25, 2018, 19:41 (2252 days ago) @ Kermit

Got my money's worth within a month easily.

Regarding the so-called lying, etc., 343 has stumbled here and there (and took steps to correct their mistakes), sure, and I'm not the biggest fan of where they've taken the franchise, but ascribing evil intent to their actions and ranting about them whenever anyone mentions them repetitively for years on end, that's downright pathological.

As far as 343’s “lying” is concerned, the tiny tidbits that I’ve heard here and there all suggest that the network problems with MCC took 343 thoroughly and genuinely by surprise. I’m not saying that nobody at the company knew (because I simply have no idea one way or the other).

I was still hosting a podcast when MCC launched, so I was playing it early for review coverage. Matchmaking and PvP was clearly having some trouble pre-launch, but that’s totally normal for a pre-launch game with barely anyone online to match with. So it’s reasonable to assume that 343 May have had some idea that things weren’t working properly a few weeks before release. But from what I gather, they didn’t know how truly broken it was until after launch. And the vague things I’ve heard in addition to that were that the problems were so deeply based in the games code that the attempts to fix it required far more serious rebuilding than a typical matchmaking patch, which would explain why many of the early updates were massive in size (I’m pretty sure I had to redownload the entire game several times, but I could be mistaken there).

All this to say, I’m not trying to excuse the state of MCC, or how long it’s taken for 343 to get it working decently. But I personally haven’t seen or heard anything from them that I’d label as “lying”. I think something went seriously wrong and managed to fly under their radar which left them scrambling to repair a crippled game, post launch, without shutting it down for those who were able to play it without trouble.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread