State of the Eververse (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 09:31 (1653 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think it’s absolutely fair when Bungie will not comment on this issue. If they don’t present their side, then they don’t really get a fair shake.

Their side in response to this guy? Or in general for Eververse?

I think it’s absolutely intentionally scummy. I don’t think that’s even debatable, honestly.

Anything is debatable :D
Which might be why we are still doing this.

The only reason to make the store rotation work the way it apparently does is to make people scared they’re going to miss out on something they want because they don’t know when or if they’ll be able to buy it again.

I'm not going to say there isn't a better method for gamers, but honestly, this isn't all about gamers. This is a business model. A business that is about making money. Let's get that out there. Now, I personally don't think this is a bad thing. If you want something, get it. If you can't afford the thing, don't get it. If you are actually getting anxiety over buying something from a business trying to incentivize their merchandise then you need to seek help.

I honestly want to feel for some gamers, but honestly merchants have been doing this for thousands of years. And yes, the digital age has made it a little more seedy, but at the same time merchants have also made it even better for customers in a lot of ways and the amount of times I hear customers feel entitled just sickens me. And this piece also makes me feel a bit of the customers/gamers are angels and developers are the devil.

I will give Bungie the benefit of the doubt on most things, but honestly, not on this.

I also recognize that I’m a hypocrite because I have spent real dollars on stuff from the store, and I will almost certainly do so again. I honestly have no problem spending some money to get some cool stuff in a game I’m approaching 1200 hours in. I have no problems with some things being silver only purchases even.

I feel the same way about games. I will pay for things in a game because honestly if I'm put that much time into it and I like it, then it's worth the money I give the developers.

I just want them to be more upfront about what will it will not be available for Bright Dust. The only reason to hide that is to get people to spend money they don’t have to spend. And that’s scummy, period.

I get this sentiment, but how is this any different than a game possibly going on sale after release? Is it "scummy" for companies to not tell you that it might go on sale later? I mean, people are losing money by buying it early. That is no guarantee that it will go on sale? Yes, I will say that it's possible that the item in Destiny just won't go on sale again. But I'm just going to loop back to what I was saying before about gamers feeling entitled to every item in a game. If you want it, buy it.

I also do think it’s at least a little shitty that certain things that would have been in game drops have been relegated to Eververse only items.

Like?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread