Personal Responsibility. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 18, 2019, 10:08 (1650 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There is no other legitimate reason I can think of to cycle digital goods in a video game in and out of availability. It’s artificial scarcity to make folks feel pressure to buy it right now. Put all the shit for this season up for sale and let people buy whatever they want all season.

My favorite local restaurant has a limited rotating menu; I can't buy everything they make all the time. I've talked to the chef; this isn't even because they have limited resources (time and/or money) and can't offer everything they offer at all times, it's because he (the chef) likes people to step out of their comfort zone and try things they might not have tried otherwise. (He says he's worked in restaurants where a customer will come in multiple times a week, for years, and order the same damn thing every time.)

He knows that's your right as a customer. He also knows it's his right, as a chef, to not give you that. You get to decide if you show up or not. (They are NEVER hurting for customers.)

I'm not trying to say this is why Bungie rotates stock. I'm trying to say that this is an example of a situation where supply is dictated by something other than resources - that it's possible that other people can come up with the legitimate reasons that you can't for why an item whose supply is essentially infinite might not be available all the time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread