Ah come on now (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 18, 2019, 16:28 (1650 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Never claimed they weren't cognizant of the situation, just that they weren't specifically taking advantage of it. The techniques that trigger people with anxiety - sell things with vague start/end dates, keep details diffuse - also work on the general public; there doesn't have to be a conspiracy to target vulnerable populations to use techniques that do, in fact, do that.

That’s the heart of the issue for me. I don’t necessarily think that Bungie is out there maliciously targeting vulnerable people. I don’t think that makes it much better, because those tactics are still at least moderately dishonest. Those tactics do work on the general population, not just folks we might say are vulnerable.

I envision a world in which Bungie is confident enough in what they’re selling to just sell it with no tricks or caveats. Why should anyone else value and respect their product (and the work that went into creating it) when they don’t seem to themselves?

I don’t have any faces I can attach to the corporation that is Bungie. I’ve played with Peter a handful of times, and he seems like an extremely cool guy and I enjoy playing with him every time it happens. I want to believe Bungie is filled with people like that. I mostly do. I certainly don’t think they’re mustache-twirling villains trying to pillage al of our money. I just think they can do better. And, at least partially, I cannot divorce Bungie from the larger corporate culture of video games (or just in general). I wouldn’t trust any large company farther than I could throw them. That doesn’t change for Bungie just because I like the video games they make.

Despite appearances, this isn’t something I care to really fight either. The money I spend is proof enough of that. I don’t have the desire or the energy. Fortunately, arguing on the internet doesn’t take much energy. (:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread