I agree. :) (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 17:13 (1650 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The post that saw me move to engage cheapLEY was this one:

I think it’s absolutely fair when Bungie will not comment on this issue. If they don’t present their side, then they don’t really get a fair shake.

I think it’s absolutely intentionally scummy. I don’t think that’s even debatable, honestly. The only reason to make the store rotation work the way it apparently does is to make people scared they’re going to miss out on something they want because they don’t know when or if they’ll be able to buy it again.

I will give Bungie the benefit of the doubt on most things, but honestly, not on this.

I also recognize that I’m a hypocrite because I have spent real dollars on stuff from the store, and I will almost certainly do so again. I honestly have no problem spending some money to get some cool stuff in a game I’m approaching 1200 hours in. I have no problems with some things being silver only purchases even.

I just want them to be more upfront about what will it will not be available for Bright Dust. The only reason to hide that is to get people to spend money they don’t have to spend. And that’s scummy, period.

I also do think it’s at least a little shitty that certain things that would have been in game drops have been relegated to Eververse only items.

When I started typing my reply, cheapLEY had not even mentioned psychologists yet. Your idea that I misread cheapLEY that badly... is just ill founded. I think his implication of cheapLEY's...

The fact that anyone would defend it as fine because they’re just a business trying to make money and people should be more responsible is honestly as troubling as the store’s issues are.

...is that anyone who disagrees with him on this one is just as scummy as the people who prey on players with Eververse. And I wasn't the only one who saw it that way. That is, he thinks people who don't agree with him on the badness of Bungie's tactics should feel shame just as Bungie should feel shame for implementing the tactics. Look what MacAddict said in reply:

I will say that I am neither dismissing the fact that this method has issues nor am I saying that making money at all cost is what Bungie is doing. So yes, I understand the Exxon reference but at the same time I basically don't believe in black and white arguments. Anything is debatable. But, only if the people debating it understand it is a back and forth where both sides aren't perfect. I'm slowly getting the feeling that you have put your foot down and anything anyone says on the matter is evil.

Was he all about questioning the facts of the psychologists, too? Was he setting up a straw man, too?

Look, I think this has turned into a good topic. I'm glad cheapLEY got some serious pushback from people beyond myself. I think you made a nice contribution down below with a more reasoned look at both sides, even if I think you too are leaning too far towards the predatory tactics side of things, but that disagreement is part of the fun of debate..

But... Mr Strawman? Really? You went off half cocked on this one. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread