Just gonna zero in on this (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, October 20, 2019, 13:19 (1651 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

What Is not fine is your idea that we all need to be up in arms as much as you.

I think you're taking away the wrong message. I'd like it if everyone was as upset by it as I am, for sure. I think if more people made a fuss about this stuff it would be less common. But I appreciate and recognise that not everyone feels the need or desire to be involved in that discourse.

Claude and a couple of others have said they just don't have the time or energy to be angry about it. Totally valid! Others are annoyed about it but would prefer not to get caught up in debate. Also totally reasonable.

What I find irksome is the attitude of some like Raga who would not only jam fingers in their ears and say "lalala I'm not listening, I didnt see it so it didnt happen", but actively tell others "You're exaggerating, you're being unreasonable, you should believe this is fine" because their "personal" experiece has been fine.

I think a part of it is that is Raga wants to see the narrative I'm telling as one of "evil Bungie, manipulating and making dark deals". Which is a more exciting story, but not what I'm saying.

I don't think the use of shady or predatory business practices inherently comes from a predatory or irresponsible place. I dont think anyone is wringing their hands, cackling and thinking up new ways to trick unhappy people into spending their money. Not at Bungie at least.

But the ways exist. They've already been invented. You might not even realise you're using something manipulative if you're just pulling it from the list of "successful microtransaction business models" you Heard about at that last conference. But whatever the intent, they are being used at Bungie. And I would hope that by making enough noise, the completely reasonable people at Bungie might rethink their approach.

(You'll have to allow me a little facetiousness, its in my blood. But I think the point stands even without).

That is not going to happen. Claude talked about it in a different post how the changes you want might directly affect other people negatively because they have a different experience than you.

I'd personally point out that some negative experiences are worse than others. I'm willing to say that the negative experiences felt by those no longer getting free stuff at the expense of others is very low on my (personal) list.

Of course I understand how if you're part of the group who solely benefit from exploitative practices you might feel differently.

I understand from what you have said that you find it predatory, but not everyone does.

A Giant Sunfish doesn't find a Coyote predatory, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a predator.

It's on me for what life gave me.

I know nothing at all about your disorder, though I'm sorry to hear you've had such a negative experience because of it. I completely reject the notion that you should just do nothing and take your licks however. I dont know your specific circumstances and obviously I respect your choice to deal with them however you choose. But I certainly can't take it as good, or even reasonable advice.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread