Personal Responsibility. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 18, 2019, 04:51 (1624 days ago) @ Kermit

Dude, you keep making analogies that don’t really follow.

The band isn’t trying to trick you into buying a shirt. Most of the time, if you get home and decide you actually do want that shirt, they’re selling the exact same one on their website. So they’re not even really trying to take advantage of people by nature of them missing out if they don’t buy a shirt then and there. I’m sure plenty of bands still do tour shirts you can only get at shows. But even then, you know that going in. They don’t sell shirts only at random dates and make you guess which ones.

I don’t think most people at Bungie are scumbags. I don’t even think whoever makes the decisions about how the store works is necessarily a scumbag. I do think they are relying on underhanded tactics to increase their revenue.

I think it’s undeniable that it’s designed to exploit cheap psychological tricks to extract as much money as possible. If it was as simple as them wanting to sell you cool stuff, you’d be able to buy anything from the Eververse at any time, instead of having to check a weekly rotation. There is no other legitimate reason I can think of to cycle digital goods in a video game in and out of availability. It’s artificial scarcity to make folks feel pressure to buy it right now. Put all the shit for this season up for sale and let people buy whatever they want all season.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread