State of the Eververse (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 07:52 (1648 days ago) @ Kermit

There seems to be this underlying assumption that creating something that we want to pay for is inherently bad, is sprung from bad intentions, or is evil and underhanded. It's not like anyone NEEDS games. Newsflash: Bungie hopes you spend money on their stuff. But by these lights, every vidoc Bungie has ever made is manipulative.

I don't think wanting people to buy your stuff is bad. I don't think anyone does. It's HOW you get people to buy your thing that matters.

Just straight up make a good thing. No tricks. No shady stuff. No psychological manipulations. Just make your product kick ass.

Advertising (Vidocs) can be perfectly moral. "Here's why our thing is awesome, and what it can do for you". As long as that's true, then that's not evil at all.

I just don't buy the negative gloss you're painting with. I don't categorize limited availability as shady, tricky, or psychological manipulation. If that's the case the whole game can be rejected to the extent it follows the living world model.

I did eventually reject the game :-p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread