As someone who has anxiety about collections/completion (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 18, 2019, 11:00 (1645 days ago) @ someotherguy

Its a very common side effect of general anxiety disorders, and I am getting help.

I also have a personal rule about not supporting that kind of business model.

Offloading the responsibility onto me to seek help however doesn't change the fact that the business model is designed to apply additional pressure from external social factors and influences. Which yes does include intentionally taking advantage of people with anxiety or other mental health disorders, and can have extremely negative effects.

Obviously Bungie is not responsible for anyone's mental health, but opting in to protifing from it (and intentionally making their game less enjoyable to do so) makes me uncomfortable for what i'd hope are pretty obvious reasons.

Every supermarket I've been in in the past 25 years (and almost certainly longer, though I wasn't really paying attention before then) manipulates their stock and presentation to play to my weaknesses. I completely understand that this is worse for people with a disorder, but it's effective on people without them - and it doesn't make me boycott supermarkets (or even, really, get mad about it).

I guess what I'm saying is that the vast majority of entities that sell stuff make use of human foibles to sell more stuff - getting mad at Bungie seems silly to me, unless I'm willing to be mad at almost everyone. (I'm not.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread