Sounds like that there is the problem (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, October 18, 2019, 12:10 (1646 days ago) @ cheapLEY

My problem here is this:

Free stuff is cool.

You being disappointed in free stuff going away suggests that having that free stuff is worth manipulating others into spending their money for that same stuff.

I know that’s not the argument you are making, but is legitimately the only way I can view what is currently happening with the Eververse.

I don’t think it’s some ultra nefarious store designed to trick people into spending their rent money on digital trinkets. I thinks it’s explicitly designed to manipulate anyone they can into buying stuff. On some level, that’s just what marketing is, and, again, that’s the point. The Eververse is just a symptom of a larger problem.

Grocery stores putting the Snickers bars next to the register is manipulative. Is it something we need to be up in arms about? Probably not. But we need to all accept that it is manipulative.

Eververse is the same way, only, instead of putting a Snickers bar next to register, it’s 50 different limited edition Snickers bars, and you better get them right now, because they’ll be gone soon, and you know you just want to collect them all, don’t you? You don’t won’t to regret not buying it when they’re gone next week.

To me, your examples are identical, and your last paragraph makes no sense.

Eververse isn't 50 different limited edition Snickers, it's Snickers, and Milky Ways, and whatever. There's 50 different ones for each (Eververse and the supermarket checkout line), and all of them call to me. I KNOW they're trying to manipulate me. Sometimes I let them, because I like Snickers bars. (And Harpy Ghosts.) Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'm even annoyed by the attempt.

None of it gets me worked up. (Being told that I SHOULD be worked up gets me worked up, interestingly.)

We're always gonna disagree on this; I get that. I'm not going to convince you that it's background noise that isn't going to go away, and you're not going to convince me that it's evil, and should be fought against. (I'm not even sure you're TRYING to convince me of that. I'm actually a little confused by your arguments; you qualify things by saying "I like buying stuff, and I'm not angry", but you also say they're doing terrible things and those things should absolutely be considered terrible. I'm not sure which side to believe.)

I guess that for me, it comes down to what someotherguy said (and Cody has said before him): you should get mad about injustice, and fight against it when you see it... but my feeling is, the world is FULL of injustice, and I have a finite amount of fight in me. My energy for fighting injustice is currently being spent fighting the cash bail system in America. It's a pretty noble fight, I think, and I put a lot of energy into it. I'm gonna let this one go, except in abstract discussions on a friendly gaming forum.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread