Personal Responsibility. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, October 18, 2019, 13:52 (1651 days ago) @ Claude Errera

"I don't feel like getting bored making this pasta dish night after night", too.)

That's an ok reason. But that's not the reason you gave.

I've spent a few hours talking to the guy - I haven't transcribed everything we talked about. He's not a 1-dimensional video game character, he's a person. I doubt there's a single reason he does ANYTHING in his life, much less the primary task of his job - I'm sure there are DOZENS of things that went into his decision to run his restaurant the way he does.

In the future, if we're discussing something, and I provide a single example to illustrate a point I'm trying to make, please don't assume it's the ONLY example available.

It's interesting how people zero in on the worst possible motivations in order to fit a narrative.

[Scene: Bungie Meeting Room]

Joe: The game's doing well, the community seems happy. We're independent, so we've got to be a little more self-supportive. How can we generate more income?

Schmo: Microtransactions?

Joe: Maybe. But not play to win, though, and not exploitive.

Schmo: Cosmetic only then. Per season. Over time our most loyal fans will have unique stuff that identifies them as veterans of the game.

Joe: So we sell them only for a short time.

Schmo: Maybe, but that might be too exclusive. We could at least put some of them in the loot table or offer some in exchange for in-game credits later on.

Joe: That seems fair.

Bungie fan: Evil Bungie tycoons seek to exploit the mentally ill using underhanded psychological tricks!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread