Personal Responsibility. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 15:39 (1624 days ago) @ Kermit

Sparking FOMO? Horrific! I love you, cheap, but I can't agree with this take. FOMO is a quintessential feature of being a human being. You could die in the next moment. Every decision you make, whether to sit or stand, sleep or eat Sushi can be said to be guided on some level by FOMO.

Oh c’mon. I have never once thought “I better go get some sushi in case I die tomorrow.” My entire life is filled with a distinct lack of worrying about dying soon.

I like Trader Joe's, but I rarely find the same thing twice when I shop there. Are they scummy for not telling me that they'll never have dark-chocolate-covered macadamia nuts after this month or that they'll be half-price next week? I don't think so. I accept Trader Joe's for what it is. I don't feel entitled to more.

Again, c’mon. Trader Joe’s is selling things that are constrained by very real world circumstances that affect supply. Destiny’s ghost shell supply is arbitrarily limited in order to make people feel pressured to buy it and for literally only that reason. There is no other reason to not just let people buy the things they want for as long as Destiny exists as a service.

I know this. Bungie makes cool stuff. Love the new raid--it's really awe inspiring. That awe isn't created on the cheap. I sincerely believe that they're trying to be independent and profitable without being scumbags, and I want them to be successful--I'd like them to be wildly successful. More awe, please.

I also believe all that. The point here is I think they’re at least partially failing on the “don’t be scumbags” thing. Not egregiously by any means.

Thank you for pointing to that reddit post, though. I usually completely ignore Tess unless I've got an engram for her, but now I'm inspired. I'm buying something tonight.

I’m glad. I’ll probably spend some bright dust on that ship myself.

At the risk of treading into politics, I’ll just say a lot of this is not only about Destiny. I think the fact that “they’re just a business trying to make as much money as possible” is floated as a legitimate response and everyone takes that as a matter of fact and just accepts that as a completely legitimate defense is absolutely troubling. Yes, it’s at least a little hyperbolic. It’s a video game, there are far bigger issues to worry about. But it’s a tiny indicator of a problem in the system at large.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread