State of the Eververse (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:39 (1650 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I genuinely don’t think you’re naive. I know I sound harsh. That’s at least partially intentional.

I don’t think that telling people to be more responsible with their money or justifying it as just a business doing business is the answer. It’s like telling a gambling addict to just stop gambling, as if that’s easy. The Eververse is literally relying on those tendency to make money. That’s as much a fact as the earth being round. That’s what I mean by not debatable. You can argue the merits of such a system all day long, but that it’s designed to play into the fear of missing out is just a thing that’s true.

I’m not here saying Eververse is the worst thing to ever happen. On the spectrum of these things in video games, it’s a hell of a lot better than most. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t ask for and expect better.

I agree with you on a lot of things. I don’t think every person needs every item in a game (at least cosmetics—I still honestly do have issues with the fact that something like Cody missing Hawkmoon for an actual year is something that can happen in a video game he paid a lot of money for). I don’t mind that some things can only be bought for real money. I think obfuscating which items those are is a really shitty thing to do.

You will never convince me the weekly rotation isn’t designed to get as much money as possible. How many people will spend a bunch of bright dust on armor, only to miss one piece one week and then have to spend money to complete the set? That’s predatory, I would bet good money that’s a feature, not a bug.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread