State of the Eververse (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:22 (1645 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm not going to say there isn't a better method for gamers, but honestly, this isn't all about gamers. This is a business model. A business that is about making money. Let's get that out there. Now, I personally don't think this is a bad thing. If you want something, get it. If you can't afford the thing, don't get it. If you are actually getting anxiety over buying something from a business trying to incentivize their merchandise then you need to seek help.

Nah, I just don’t buy that argument. Exxon is fine, they’re just a business trying to make money! Obviously a hyperbolic extreme, but it’s the end point of that argument. Dismissing legitimate issues because it’s just a business trying to make money is asinine, bordering on just licking boots.

Apparently it's not obvious, but I'm not saying that Bungie is perfect and gamers be damned.

I will say that I am neither dismissing the fact that this method has issues nor am I saying that making money at all cost is what Bungie is doing. So yes, I understand the Exxon reference but at the same time I basically don't believe in black and white arguments. Anything is debatable. But, only if the people debating it understand it is a back and forth where both sides aren't perfect. I'm slowly getting the feeling that you have put your foot down and anything anyone says on the matter is evil.

You can argue about people needing better impulse control all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that these practices are predatory and literally designed to exploit those types of people. They hired literal psychologists to help design this shit. It’s design is not accidental.

Once again, I will state that I'm not saying the method can't be improved. I just don't believe that these practices are as heinous as you make them out to. You can call me naive or worse, which you basically do in the following paragraph (thanks for that)(that's sarcasm, it wasn't nice), but I don't believe all of that.

The fact that anyone would defend it as fine because they’re just a business trying to make money and people should be more responsible is honestly as troubling as the store’s issues are.

Again, I’m fine with the store existing. I have spent money and will do so again. I love this game, I have no problem spending my money to support them and get cool stuff. It’s not cool when it feels like the store is trying to fuck me out of my money instead of just showing me the things I can buy at all times instead of having to play the guessing game of what I can get next week.

It is intentionally predatory. That actually isn’t debatable, not in any real way in which I could ever take someone who says it isn’t seriously.

Which is why I might as well just stop talking to you on this subject. I mean, I disagree, but that doesn't matter anymore.

I also do think it’s at least a little shitty that certain things that would have been in game drops have been relegated to Eververse only items.

Like?

The new exotic sparrow and ship, when the raid no longer drops either one. The harpy ghost shell.

I agree that only cosmetics should be in the eververse store. Which means that sparrows and ghosts shouldn't be in there. That doesn't mean you can't get cosmetics in the world. I think you should be able to get stuff like that in hard content as a special reward.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread