Personal Responsibility. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 14:14 (1664 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Kermit, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 14:22

The so-called "FOMO" aspect to it is absolutely necessary for selling these kind of goods - a significant portion of the reason people buy them at all is because other people won't have them. For me, it's hard to see how selling such a good in nearly any form could be predatory.

Those two statements are at odds with each other for me. Making something with the intentions of sparking FOMO to lure people into buying it is inherently predatory. It’s a digital thing, there’s absolutely no reason for it to ever not be on sale, except as a way to get people to rush to buy it before they no longer can.

Sparking FOMO? Horrific! I love you, cheap, but I can't agree with this take. FOMO is a quintessential feature of being a human being. You could die in the next moment. Every decision you make, whether to sit or stand, sleep or eat Sushi can be said to be guided on some level by FOMO.

I subscribe to live services on consoles, so every game I consider buying involves making calculations. Every game I consider buying might be free and will likely be cheaper in the future. Every game I consider buying might be unavailable or unplayable a few years from now. Should Microsoft or Sony tell me that game X will be "free" in six months? Do they even know?

I like Trader Joe's, but I rarely find the same thing twice when I shop there. Are they scummy for not telling me that they'll never have dark-chocolate-covered macadamia nuts after this month or that they'll be half-price next week? I don't think so. I accept Trader Joe's for what it is. I don't feel entitled to more.

Eververse is Trader Joe's selling virtual jewelry to people who have enough comfort in their life to care about such inconsequential things. If you really want it, you buy it when you see it. If you kind of want it, but you are unsure, you make a calculation and take your chances. You can buy it, though. I didn't like it in D1 when you were buying chances to get something you wanted. I didn't participate. Bungie fixed that.

I'm not convinced by some guy on reddit who can't write for shit that Bungie is now evil because he can no longer reliably peek at next week's flyer. Give me a break.

I know this. Bungie makes cool stuff. Love the new raid--it's really awe inspiring. That awe isn't created on the cheap. I sincerely believe that they're trying to be independent and profitable without being scumbags, and I want them to be successful--I'd like them to be wildly successful. More awe, please.

Thank you for pointing to that reddit post, though. I usually completely ignore Tess unless I've got an engram for her, but now I'm inspired. I'm buying something tonight.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread