From your "Rewards" Thread: (Destiny)

by Cold, Monday, May 06, 2013, 16:32 (4009 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And so, since nobody really wants to work it out, why not just tell everybody how to do it in the first place? Because that would be stupid of course. So a game in which people just read the strats all day long is just as dumb as a game where the developer just tells everybody the optimal strategy up front.

You have to acknowledge the varying skill of the players. The guilds that are spearheading all of the new content of MMOs are learning to fights, and I assume they wouldn't want it any other way. They want these fights to be as difficult as they can be without being redundant and gimmicky. These players are a small portion of the player base, however, they often have the loudest (and earliest, if you will) voices--better keep them happy.

Making the boss fights this hard and leaving the strats to a third party source allows the players to bite off as much as they want before seeking help.

How do you make a game that isn't stupid? You make one that have challenges folks actually enjoy figuring out.

I'm sure there will be plenty of challenges in Destiny that will be very enjoyable to figure out on your on. And guess what, if a dev has stumped you and one's too challenging then you can turn to YouTube!

What if Bungie told you how to get all of the easter eggs? Isn't that pointless? How is that any different than youtube telling you how to beat the bosses?

Yes, that would be pointless. However, I am glad that the community makes YouTube videos so that I can see all of the easter eggs that I missed after I have had my fill of a game.

All other things being equal, obviously the boss fight with zero videos.

I am 100% certain that 100% of game developers would disagree with you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread