Raids (Destiny)

by Wurstsalat, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 04:16 (4008 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Wurstsalat, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 04:23

I understand what you mean, but don't you think it is much more likely that the Youtube part of the job description was referring to Raids being challenging and not referring to them not being fun to figure out?

Apart from that I think that when something in a video game is intentionally challenging most people will find it too difficult and not fun - at least at the beginning. Wether it's fun to figure out or not doesn't make that much of a difference. When it's fun maybe 60% of the players will look it up and when it's not that fun maybe 70%. Modern gamers hate challenging games. That's why most of the games are dead easy and even 5-year olds could play most of them without problems.

So just through making something challenging you take the fun away from a lot of gamers. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't care if figuring out the challenging parts of your game are fun or not, but I just want to point out that "fun to figure out" is a very loose concept and that there are a lot of people who don't even want to figure anything out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread