Raids (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 09:03 (4009 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Or maybe Bungie doesn't work in a vacuum - maybe they're ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that folks will make these guides as soon as the game comes out, and that some fans LOVE these guides, and Bungie likes the idea that the community works together?

...nah, that can't be it. Must be bad design.

This is why I am looking and asking for specifically how things play out in MMOs. First of all, that gives me a an idea of what players are actually doing, and second gives me an indication of what players in Destiny will be doing since such a player is going to be designing the RAIDs.

From what I hear, the vast majority of people just look up strats for the RAIDs and don't even bother to figure them out. In any other studio, if the vast majority of playtesters basically said a particular challenge is not something they want to figure out, but instead just to tell them how to do it, do you think any sane studio is going to keep that in? So why are late game RAIDs designed that way?

I'm not saying you shouldn't expect players to make guides and give hints, that's preposterous. I'm not saying the community can;t work together to solve problems. I'm saying designing your challenges around the expectation that most players aren't going to want to figure it out, but instead just be told how to do it, is not good design. From the looks of it, this is how these things are in other MMOs, and implicitly what Bungie is saying they want.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread