Raids (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 18:44 (4009 days ago) @ Wurstsalat

I don't know what's your problem. The job listing says that Raids are supposed to be challenging and take some effort so that some people will propably go to Youtube to look for tactics.
So you're basically saying: They should either just tell you how to make it through the Raids or make them so easy that everyone can play through them without any problems. If this is your opinion I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying to make the raids easy. I'm not saying looking up stuff in a guide is bad. I'm not saying you have to enjoy every aspect of everything you do in a game.

I was playing Depoina earlier in the year. It's a point and click adventure game, and a good one too. Now, because exploration and puzzle solving are at the heart of the genre, and I like doing those things, I generally do not consult guides or walkthroughs and prefer to solve things on my own.

However, there was a trial and error puzzle in the game. Not a puzzle you could solve by trial and error, one you were required to. When I realized this, rather than keep entering combinations I said 'fuck that' and googled a walkthrough, and simply punched in the solution and moved on.

In that instance, a walkthrough helped me, because it allowed me to bypass something that wasn't fun. In fact, folks reading guides obviously do it because that is more fun than doing it on their own, or else they'd do it on their own.

But that's not the point. The point is Deadalic (the developer) should have known better than to include a trial and error puzzle. Adventure games have puzzles generally based in logic or creative thinking, and trial by error puzzles are pretty much universally disliked. That's the point. I'm sure a few sick folks out there LIKE trial and error puzzles, but so what?

It seems like the MMO crowd has spoken and has said the same thing about formulating raid strategies as adventure game players say about trial and error puzzles. The fact that virtually everybody just wants to read how to do it should tell you it's not fun. So, Bungie should know better than to do that and instead make it fun.

You are always going to have people looking up secrets and strategies. In fact, more power to them because they are taking it upon themselves to bypass the stupid parts of games (or parts they themselves think are stupid). But as a developer, if you see most people bypassing a portion of your game, you should take a hint.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread