From your "Rewards" Thread: (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 10:18 (4009 days ago) @ kapowaz

I remember talking to Dan Miller about the eggs he stuffed into New Alexandria - things like the rave in Club Errera, and the flyable Pelican. These things were REALLY hard to figure out on your own - I'd say 99.9% of all people who actually experienced them in-game learned how to do them from online videos - but insanely enjoyable.

Show me the job advert that talks about creating cool easter eggs and I'll concede the point. The job ad is presumably talking about core game mechanics (otherwise why mention them in a job ad?), and that's a very different kettle of fish. If you make core game mechanics that the majority of players won't enjoy then you're either not a very good game designer or you're intentionally making your game unappealing to the majority.

I was talking about the CONCEPT of building things that might or might not be easy to figure out on your own, and the difficulty to the developer in doing so - your point seemed to be that it was a waste of resources to do things if most players wouldn't use them, and my point was that you need to take into account how MUCH effort is needed to create them before you can make that decision.

I don't believe for a minute that whoever wrote that job description meant to say that they're looking for someone to build game mechanics that the majority of players won't enjoy. And if you're going to argue that there's no other interpretation of that job ad, I guess I have nothing more to add to the discussion - it sounds like you're LOOKING for a reason to dislike this game before you've even seen it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread