Raids (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 02:51 (4008 days ago) @ Oz Mills

I've just got to weigh in right here. I was going to do it before when Cody linked to the aborted podcast a few days back, but I wasn't really sure how to do it tactfully.

I'd never listened to Anger, Sadness, and Envy before (wish I had, they're great!), but for some reason I decided to listen to the one Cody posted (and I'm working through the rest of them right now). If you haven't, I would recommend listening to the podcast. For me, it helped put Cody's posts in perspective.

I used to think, and I apologize Cody, that he was a bit of an arrogant jackass. I don't know if it's just they way his posts are written or what, but they do come off as abrasive, at the least. Actually listening to him speak, however, and hear the way he makes his arguments, I don't feel that he comes off that way at all really. It helped put him in perspective, for me at least, and whereas I would usually just glance over his posts, or skip them altogether, now I find myself reading them all. Whether you like his attitude or not, he brings up a lot of valid topics. It seems like some of the time, his points get glossed over, and instead he just gets attacked for his perceived attitude. I guess I would just say, pay attention more to the discussion points he's raising, and less attention to the way he raises them. Like I said, actually listening to him speak changed the way I perceive his posts.

Maybe I'm very much in the minority for not having listened to the podcast before, so maybe I'm alone in this.

Basically to sum up: thanks for posting the podcast Cody, it was a very interesting listen (as are the rest of the back log I'm going through). You don't know me from Jack, so my opinion of you probably doesn't matter one bit to you, but the fact remains that I thoroughly enjoy the discussion you try to bring to the forums, looking at it from a design and gameplay standpoint more than a universe/story standpoint, even if I don't particularly agree with all of them, or even many of them.

As far as your original question, I have no idea. As I rule I don't like MMOs, as I do find the moment-to-moment gameplay quite boring, and I'd be sad to see Bungie take this direction. I don't really feel like this is what will happen, and I have enough faith in Bungie to create and experience that I'll enjoy.

Obviously we don't know much about Destiny's gameplay, but the way I keep picturing it basically a bigger version of Borderlands (obviously with Bungie's take on the FPS, and however they do leveling and gear), with seamless drop-in, drop-out interaction between random players in the world.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread