Raids (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 03:16 (4008 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Also, I wasn't really referring to you specifically, Oz Mills, it's just something that's been going on lately (for quite a while, actually, before DBO even existed). A lot of folks can and do have very lively and interesting discussions in response to Cody's posts, but it seems like nearly just as often, some folks jump into the thread to basically just call him a dick in a roundabout way, without actually addressing the discussion he's trying to bring to the table.

I don't particularly subscribe to his gaming design philosophy, although I do see where he's coming from, and even concede that a lot of times he might be right. I'm more of a casual gamer, I suppose. I hesitate to call myself that, as I am an avid gamer, but I'm casual in the sense that I typically don't play games for a "challenge" or however you want to define it. I play them to relax and enjoy an experience that would typically be outside the realm of what's realistically possible.

I play games that I enjoy, and I don't particularly analyze why I actually enjoy them. If it's because it really is a good game, with awesome mechanics and a unique experience, that's awesome. If it's because the developers are force feeding me rewards, whether that be new gear or a cutscene, I'm okay with that, too. If I'm enjoying my time, that's good enough for me, and I don't really take the time out of my life to differentiate between the two and ask myself why I'm enjoying the game. Maybe I should be, I don't know, but I do like to read the discussions Cody brings up about such matters, but sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few who does.

Anyway, don't think I was just attacking you specifically, Oz, it was geared more as a general statement to the forum.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread