Looks kind of dumb, so it's very Star Wars alright. (Off-Topic)

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 10:30 (1828 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 11:02

When Rey meets Luke, she actually has the moral high ground, as far as I can tell. It’s been a while, and I don’t remember the duel you’re talking about very clearly or her losing her temper, but I’m struck by the thought that her anger is righteous, the frustration of seeing someone with the ability to do real good and work for real change instead choose to sit idly by and let things go to shit and wallow in self-pity.

I'm with you on the whole thing about anger being an okay emotion.

However, I'm not sure I get why people are upset at Luke's behavior here.

Yoda: Holy crap, I presided over an order that created Darth Vader- who murdered all his friends- and now the Empire is rising! I'm going to go hide out on a remote planet and be a hermit while the galaxy is at war.

[protege shows up]

Yoda: He can't be trained. He's the kid of that other super-powerful dude and we saw how that went.

Space Ghost: C'mon, just do it!

Yoda: Oh fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke: Holy crap, I presided over an order that created Kylo- who murdered all his friends- and now the Empire is rising. I'm going to go hide out on a remote planet and be a hermit while the galaxy is at war.

[protege shows up]

Luke: She can't be trained. She's got the same kind of power that that other super-powerful dude had and we saw how that went.

[Eventually]

Luke: Oh fine.

No one is angry at Yoda for not saving the Galaxy. If you're mad at Luke, be mad at Yoda. However, I think they both had a point in understanding that traditions and orders have a tremendous power to be weaponized. They also have seen the good and bad results of their meddling in galactic affairs. Taking themselves (and their tradition) out of the equation may have been the best option for a time.

Just my take-away.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread