On updating a classic (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, April 19, 2019, 19:50 (1805 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. - One of the very very few perfect games out there. It had good gameplay, the best of the best acting, and a perfect ending. As much as I wouldn't mind more, I'm very content to leave it's well told story alone and have the developer just go do something else.

I want to like this game as much as everyone else, but I just don't see it. I've tried twice now.

It is immediately interesting. The presentation is masterful. The sound design is amazing. The story grabbed my attention immediately.

I bought the game on PS4 when it came out. I got to the big door you have to open by beating the two bosses. I went to face Sutr first, but I lost interest and just sort of forgot about it.

When the game came out on Game Pass, I downloaded it again. This time I went to face Valravn first, and it's incredible. That are is so perfectly creepy (they eyes really got me--that effect was so well done. I didn't even realize what I was seeing for a bit, and when I realized, it literally gave me chills). The puzzles aren't mind-blowing, but they were interesting and fun, and that boss fight is cool.

Then I went to face Sutr again, and lost interest again. That area is the most boring thing I've ever played in a video game. I'd rather play the beginning of The Order 1886 or Metal Gear Solid V, and I'd rather watch paint dry than do either of those two things. Lining up runes in trees and shit is not fun or interesting, and, by that point, the combat was starting to wear thin. It's not difficult, it's not interesting, it honestly feels like it might as well not even be there for as little engagement as it offers. It feels like busy-work.

I want to love this game. I think if I pushed through, I'd probably end up really liking it, but I just have shit to do, and spending thirty minutes in the fire area was all I could handle.

So many people praised the game for it's price point, and being an ambitious indie game. I came away with the opposite reaction--I desperately wish it was a $60 game with fleshed out mechanics and combat to go along with it.

I'll give it another try, someday, maybe, I hope. The list of games that I'll get back to, someday, maybe, is already too long, though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread