On updating a classic (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 18, 2019, 12:29 (1835 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You’re right; if Halo CE came out today, it would not have been a hit.

I kinda disagree. Obviously, you’re not saying Halo is bad, just that it’s old. I know there are some games (Like the Marathon trilogy) that I won’t play because the core concepts like twisty-turny maps feel too dated for me. But Halo? I think it’s gameplay and level design and story hold up incredibly well. Yes, the graphics are old and some things like the first person walk animations are a bit glidey, but slap on (another!) updated graphic engine and put a bit more bob and sway into walking and Halo: Combat Evolved would absolutely stand up today. It has all the story beats, gameplay challenges, and core shooter elements to still be a hit even in 2019.

I was strictly speaking about releasing Halo CE, exactly as it originally existed, today.

In theory, I agree that a version of Halo CE with the right technological updates could be extremely popular. Where that gets tricky though is that as soon as things start getting tweaked, you risk messing up the formula that made it work so we’ll back in 2001. Something as simple as adding a little more texture detail to the Forerunner architecture might in fact ruin the appeal of their design, rather than enhance it. I’m not saying such an update is theoretically impossible, just that any changes are equally or more likely to harm the formula rather than enhance it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread