An elitist film for elitists? (Off-Topic)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 07, 2019, 13:33 (1809 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm talking about a kind of elitist audience, who believe that a sign of good art is that it makes statements about issues like, for instance, a wealthy ruling class.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're asserting that criticizing the wealthy ruling class is elitist?

You're kidding, right? No one criticizes the elites like the elites. It's one of the primary ways they gain moral standing.

No I'm not kidding. I'm utterly confused by this idea. Can you point me to where I can learn about how elitist it is to criticize the wealthy ruling class.

Like I get it, what better position is there to witness how gratuitous obscene wealth is.

What I haven't gathered is, why is it bad to criticize the wealthy ruling class?

It's not necessarily bad per se, but doing so in Star Wars movie can be bad because it detracts from what makes Star Wars great. And that was just one example of his signaling his tribe that he was above these silly entertainments for the great unwashed.

Yeah, just not following you there. How does it detract from what makes Star Wars great? The movie pretty clearly revels in the Star Wars universe. It has an amazing light saber battle, they fight space nazis, cool millenium falcon piloting, explorations of what the force IS, and a brilliant play on Obi-Wans fight vs Vader.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread