An elitist film for elitists? (Off-Topic)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 08, 2019, 08:36 (1787 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I’m with you.

I’m all for a Star Wars universe that examines itself, instead of pretending that killing the space Nazi leader solves all the galaxy’s problems.

I understand that the original trilogy was a personal story, and not one concerned with the grander politics of the entire galaxy. But I think giving us a glimpse of those politics doesn’t detract from what makes Star Wars great. I think the reaction to The Last Jedi is justification enough for why the movie should have been made, to be honest.

I agree. And I understand that people still want the feel of the original trilogy, but from what I've read about it so far, you apparently have to be elitest to even understand what it's about. Kudos to the 1% who understand all of that and get something out of it. I consider myself a smart guy, but I never got all of that from any of the star wars movies. And I'm all for Sci-fi being a tool to help us understand ourselves and our culture through another medium.

Hmm. If you're referring to any of my points, I suspect you're both misunderstanding. The elites I'm referring to like the political angles (I'm not talking about politics as they are portrayed in that fictional universe, but how The Last Jedi checked the boxes for the very specific politics of our time in our world). Yes, the original trilogy is a personal story, but it has a timeless mythic quality that speaks to universal themes that have existed as long as humans have told stories. There are many things that are much more important than politics.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread