Looks kind of dumb, so it's very Star Wars alright. (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, April 17, 2019, 10:54 (1834 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I don’t disagree with anything you said here.

For what it’s worth, I am disappointed in Yoda. He ran and hid, instead of continuing to fight and trying to fix his mistakes. He could have been instrumental in helping the Rebellion, as could Obi-Wan. Instead they hid for twenty some odd years and let the galaxy fall apart.

Would it have been better for them to fight, at the end of the day? I don’t know. They could have died and left Luke as a directionless farmer (who was all set to join the Empire, remember—how long would it have taken Vader or the Emporer to figure out who he was if he became the galaxy’s best TIE pilot?). But the fact that things sort of worked out doesn’t really mean they made the right call, at least not morally. Obi-Wan was at least ostensibly acting as Luke’s protector. Yoda, however, just straight gave up.

Luke essentially did the same thing. I think it’s a great direction for his character, I think it’s interesting story-telling, and I don’t think it spits on the Luke of the OT like many seem to. I’m just saying that anger at Luke is justifiable, the same way anger at any powerful person that ignores serious problems that they could fix is justifiable. Rey is right to be angry at Luke.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread