On updating a classic (Off-Topic)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 18, 2019, 16:52 (1834 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, I always stayed away from comics because, as a kid, I couldn't understand why people would want to read the same stories about the same characters who had been around since the 1930s or whatever... It's only in recent years that I've better realized that, yes, it's the same character, but everything from motivations to art styles to story structures varied greatly. Instead of looking at a comic as a whole and claiming nobody grew, it's better to look at each author's/artist's runs as self contained stories that do feature all the triumphs and defeats and decisions and consequences and growth you could want.

One of the things I've always wanted was for the things I enjoy, be it a single great song, or a long running tv show, or a beloved video game, is more of that good thing. Why couldn't the fantastic last minute Chicago's Hard To Say I'm Sorry go on for an hour? Why couldn't Avatar: The Last Airbender have four more seasons that were just as good as the first three? Why couldn't Halo: Combat Evolved have another 10 excellent levels?

Well, with comics and the way that they continue on for decades, you kinda do get that...Or, at least, there's enough good spread out over the decades that you get several good runs instead of just one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread